Saturday, August 10, 2013

Review: Not Your Mother's Dry Shampoo

I've been hearing of this phenomenon, if you can even call it that, called "dry shampoo" for a long time now. It's recently started to catch fire, so I thought I'd give it a try since a camping trip is coming up this weekend, and , if it's only one night, that shower and shampooing in the camp site showers is absolutely not worth it. The bottle is around $5, give or take a $1 depending on where you buy it, called "Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Dry Shampoo." The bottle is a white aluminum bottle with green accents and this green algae hair coming down from the nozzle. The bottle itself is self-explanatory. If you've ever sprayed hair spray, paint spray, anything spray really, this will be a piece of cake. Knowing that I would need to test the item out before camping, I didn't wash my hair last night. To give you a better idea, I'm currently doing a shampoo every other day and a conditioner in between to avoid shampooing too much. This means that my hair is considerably "icky" if I don't dose with water plus something that vaguely removes a little oil. Oh, and my hair gets oily kind of easily. I woke up this morning with slightly greasy hair (oh, it hurts a little to type that) and after my morning routine, sat down with a mirror, hairbrush, and the dry shampoo. I felt that the shampoo worked great in the morning, but now that the day has been passing by, my hair is starting to hang again. It's definitely not as gross-looking as it would have appeared had I not used the shampoo, but the weight of my hair is definitely there now, compared to when your hair first dries after being washed.  The dry shampoo doesn't give a huge amount of volume, but it doesn't flatten; by the end of the day, your hair will look really plain,  if that makes any sense. There just won't be anything special about your hair; it won't flow in the wind, but it won't bleed oil either. Take your pick. If you wan't something that will last all day and make your hair look like it would had you showered, go for something more pricey. I can't guarantee that doing that will produce better results, but to each her own. One of the other factors people consider is the smell and the "whiteness" of your hair after spraying the powder (that's basically what dry shampoo is, a more complex combination of baby powder that soaks up oil from your hair). I felt that after brushing out the powder, my hair didn't experience any white flakes of any sort. I'm assuming that it'd be obvious since my hair is pretty dark. Smell...well, it smelled weird when I first sprayed the product, but now, it's pretty scentless. Overall, I would rate this shampoo highly. It's great for college budget, and for my hair, it works for what I need it to do. It's my emergency shampoo more than a daily necessity so for the price, it's absolutely worth it and a good buy. If you want to use it more often and incorporate it into your normal routine, then you would definitely need to experiment more to find the best product. Maybe this is it, maybe it's not. See the Ulta Reviews See the MakeupAlley Reviews *I purchased Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Dry Shampoo out of my own need for a dry shampoo. No one paid me, sadly, to review it and all opinions are my own in regards to my own hair. This is merely to provide a guide for others who are considering a similar purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment